Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Slow, slow, process

Today the doctor came in and basicall told me that Taytons progress is moving slower then a snail, but at least he is moving. I am hoping we can move it maybe to a turtles pace. So I will explain a little more about the fluid problem. I guess when you get burned you loose a ton of fluid. It comes out of the burns and so they have to give you tons, and tons of fluid. Taytons little body is in shock and all of his tissues are holding on to all the fluid, instead of sending it through his body. So they put him on basically some really good water pills to try to get him to pee. The water pills work for the first couple of hours, then he pretty much stops. So today I prayed for pee, and when it came we did a pee dance. I never thought I would be so happy to see pee.- Once his little body will let go of the fluid the swelling will go down. Then is the swelling goes down we can take him off the ventilator. Then when he is off the ventilator they can take him off the sedation medication. So he will really start improving once the fluid goes through his body. That is how I understand it, I'm sure nurses and doctors have a more technical way of saying it, but thats what I understood about it today. So pray for pee!- Tomorrow we get to see how the skin graphs did. I am also praying that they will look good and that it won't require any more surgery. So a pretty slow day, but at least his is progressing some. Keep working hard bud, I love you so much. You are so tough and I know your little body will get through this. I would switch you places in a heartbeat. I know you'll make it through!- Oh and I have also been reading some stuipid comments that people leave, which I won't be doing anymore. But some mom said, well that is why I never let my kids out of my sight. It just made me mad. Any mom knows you can't keep your kids in your sight the entire time. Don't think it can't happen to you. Things can happen even when your watching. I know my kids friends, I am watching the clock when he comes home. If he is two minutes late, I am out looking for him. How many kids walk home from school every day. He wanted to walk home with his friends before we moved. He said he didn't want me to pick him up that day because it was a nice day and he wanted exercise. The first weeks of school I walked with him, I made sure I knew who he was walking home with. I knew the parents of the boys he walked home with. He just came across a bad situation, and it was a horrible accident. That mom may watch her kids now, but really there comes a time when they have to start being independent. Taytons is going to be a lot later now in life, but I was trying my best. None of my kids will ever walk home from school ever again, but it doesn't mean they will be protected from everything. Show me a mom who can protect their child from everything. OK, sorry I'm done venting.

7 comments:

M. Davis said...

I completely agree with you Kali. Comments like that are NOT helpful, even though I think people are trying to be. I want to tell them, "Hello! This family is struggling! They don't need to hear anything critical or anything slightly negative at this time!" As far as being a great mom goes, Kali has it down. She's great! I can give anyone a good talking to, if they think some neglect was made on her part, because she's a wonderful mom and doesn't need or deserve any criticism. Grr! Thanks Kali for explaining about the fluids. I didn't understand what I was praying for. I'll pray for pee! :) I love you guys. Hang in there. Every day that passes is a day closer to recovery, even though there might not be huge hallmarks of change for each day. Good luck tomorrow.

Unknown said...

dont be so hard on yourself. You and Levi are great parents and you are doing a good job at raising your little ones. Hang in there and remember you are doing this for a good reason--LOVE-- and that is what we are hear for. Heavenly Father is proud of what you are doing. Just remember crap happens and this is a test and you are passing with flying colors. Your family is in our prayers especially Tayton. Love you guys

christa said...

Stay positive! I keep thinking about how Tayton asked you if he should buckle his seat belt on the way to the emergency room even though he was in such a stressful situation. He remembered the things he has been taught and those things will help him as he recovers. That says a lot about you and Levi and what kind of parents you are. We love you!

Jessica Ellis said...

Don't ever let the mean things get to you. I had to ignore everything. I pray the fluid starts to release from his body, it is definitely one of the most important things. Don't worry though, the burn unit is amazing! I have no doubt his graphs will look great. I hated waiting a few days before we were able to see them. I know they'll look great though. I think about your son and your family everyday. It's a rough road, but it's amazing how much you can handle. I enjoy seeing your updates to see how he's progressing. Keep your head up, he's lucky to have you :)

Mellonee said...

So sorry! I made the mistake of reading the comments on a KSL story about a friend once. Ouch! And said without any knowledge of the person or any compassion. Please ignore them, you are a great mom.

Anonymous said...

When my little brother was four years old, he fell out of a neighbors two story window and landed on a retaining wall. An ambulance took him to utah valley regional medical center, where they realized his neck was broken and proceeded to life flight him to Primary Children's hospital. My mother thought he was being watched by the neighbor who was 17, she was down stairs fixing lunch while he and her 4 year old sister were playing upstairs. It was completely innocent, they were jumping from the windowsill to the bed and having a good old time. It was August, and so the window happened to be open, he happened, to lean back enough to cause him to fall, and they happened to have a retaining wall, that he just happened to land on perfectly to break his neck. We never blamed the neighbors. Anyone can turn their backs for a few minutes to make lunch for kids.
Besides for us the point was to work on fighting to keep him alive and eventually get him home, it didn't matter what happened, what mattered was getting him better and doing what needed to be done to fight for his life.
I am sorry that others are unable to understand how hurtful comments can be, how lucky they are that something hasn't happened to their children, and the fact that at this point it doesn't matter what happened so much as it matters that Tayton continues to get better and heal. Primary Children's is amazing, it was a long road for us, and some days were scarier than others. It seems like the good news is always associated with bad news, he came out of his coma after 3 weeks, only for us to find out that it looked like he would be paralyzed on his left side. He is still alive today (16 years later). He has had some complications with his traumatic brain injury, but he is our little miracle. I pray that such a miracle happens in your life. I have seen miracles upon miracles happen at primary children's, and I know Tayton couldn't be in better hands.

Unknown said...

You probably aren't reading comments anymore, but I just started following your son's story and I'm praying for him, and your whole family. I want you to know, that you're right-we can't always watch our kids, and sometimes horrible things happen even if we do. You can't blame yourself for this. We have to raise our children to gradually learn to be independent, and we can't always be there-they don't want us to always be there, even though we may want to. They can get hurt no matter how careful we are. So don't blame yourself! Put all your fabulous energy into helping your son get well, and also making sure your daughter still gets plenty of attention as well. (I know from experience how important that is-even though it's hard right now!) Your family is in my prayers. Ignore any negative comments!