Thursday, November 15, 2012

Tayton

It's been a horrible day and I can't sleep. I feel like everything is bottled up inside and writing is the best therapy for me. So here is Taytons story. Today he was walking home from school, then I heard him come in the door just screaming. I looked at him and gave him a big hug and asked what was wrong. Then I smelled him and got a good look at him. He said the boys lit a big fire and he was burned. I looked at him and closer and couldn't believe what I saw. I told him to get in the car and we headed for the hospital. Why I was driving I called 911, and they told me just to wait for an ambulance. Seeing my boy like that, I couldn't wait. I drove about 70 miles per hour on the back road of Perry. I got him to the hospital and they took really good care of him. They started putting burn wraps all on his arms and face. He then said that some older boys were lighting gasoline on fire and he was just watching. He was screaming and crying, the skin was falling off his arms and his poor little face was just black, all of his hair on his head was burned, eyelashes burned. I never wish that on any parent to see their child like that. Well the hospital sedated him and put a breathing tube in because his throat got burned and they were worried if it got to swollen he would have a hard time breathing. Soon they had life-flighted him to the UofU burn center. We left the hospital and it seemed like the longest drive of my life. We got to go in his room and his poor little face is so swollen it doesn't look like him. He has 14% of his body burned. His hands and arms are the worst with 3rd degree burns on them. His face is 2nd degree burns, but on the positive side his lungs and throat seem to be ok. They have him sedated and plan on keeping him that way for the next couple of days, because of the pain and the breathing tube. It looks like he will have surgery on Monday maybe Tuesday for skin graphs on his hands, not sure on his face yet. We are going to have a long recovery ahead of us. At least 2-3 weeks in the hospital and months and months of therapy and recovery. He is still in critical condition right now and the next 24-48 hours are going to be the hardest for him. They are very optimistic he will make it through. He is a fighter and I'm praying for a miracle. Tayton seemed to have been burned the worst out of the five boys. So please teach your children about fire danger. I know 2 of the other boys he was with, but I didn't know the other two. I can't believe something like this could happen just from walking home from school. I just think he saw the older boys and was curious what they were doing. I am just greatful he wasn't the one lighting it on fire. I am feeling every emotion. I'm sad for what happened, happy he is still with us, mad at lots of things, including myself for letting him walk home and not teaching him enough. I just want everyone to hug their kids tonight and make sure they tell them how much they love them. I am so greatful for an amazing family and support system. I will try to keep you all updated on his progress. Thanks for all the prayers and messages. We still could use them. Kali

20 comments:

christa said...

Hope you know how many people care about and love you Tayton. You are in our prayers.

Linda said...

Oh, Sweet Kali! I am so sorry for your little Tayton. Please know that we love you and will pray for many miracles for your little family and for God's blessings to be with you and Levi and all your family and especially Tayton.

London'sBridge said...

I know we don't know each other, but I know Levi from growing up in Willard... I wanted to just tell you that your family is in my prayers.

Hayley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hayley said...

Kali, I am so sorry! You and your family are in our prayers!!

Heather Palmer said...

I just cry when I read this I'm so sorry you have to go though this! I'm sure our little Tyson would have done the same thing to walk up and see what the other boys were doing. It makes me so mad that those boys were that stupid to light that on fire and poor Tayton has to be the one that was burned the worst. I am for sure praying for him today!!

Mellonee said...

Your family is in our prayers as well. We are praying for miracles to happen.

Anonymous said...

Love you to pieces Kali! and the rest of the family. You are an amazing mother! Tayton is a strong boy.Everything is going to work out. Stay strong!

Rob and Shannon LaFontaine said...

So sorry, Kali! I can't even imagine what you are going through. Hang in there! We will most certainly keep Tayton and your family in our prayers. Hoping for a speedy recovery for your little boy!

Mitzi Jeppesen said...

So scarey! You and your sweet Tayton are in our thoughts and prayers. You just never know and it's so hard to keep kids safe.

Callie said...

So sorry that this happened to your little guy! Prayers heading your way.

Caleb and Heather Jeppsen said...

I hurt so badly about this situation. It was such a privilege to coach Tayton this year. My problem is I love my players like they are my little brother or son. I can't express my pain, love, and prays for Tayton and your family at this time. I would love to help with anything, including financially. Please, let us know where we can help. Thanks, Caleb (Flag Football Coach) and Heather Jeppsen

Court and Jill said...

Kali, I just heard about this story and was directed to your blog. I wish you the best in the recovery process and please know that many are praying for you and your little guy.
Jill Frandsen (from BEHS 2000)

Jenny said...

Don't beat yourself up, you can't protect your kids from everything, even if you try your best. It was just a freak accident. We are praying for Tayton and your whole family. May you feel peace at this time.

Liesel Marsing said...

Kali, I am heartbroken to hear about Tayton! He and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I pray that Tayton won't be in pain and that he will be able to have a comfortable and quick recovery from the worst of it. I can't imagine what you must be going through. You are a one of a kind friend! I hope you feel much love sent your way!!

Love,
Liesel

Carrie said...

Oh, Kali! I'm sorry that this happened! We'll pray for him and for you and Levi too.

Jamie said...

Kali,
I love you and I know that you are nothing but an amazing mother! This is so frustrating! I'm praying hard for miracles for your sweet family and hope that Tayton can recover quickly!

JUST BE... said...

Kali and Levi
We are so sadden by this terrible accident. Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your sweet family. We will continue to pray for the comfort and healing of your sweet Tayton. And that The Lord will be a comfort to you as well.
Love The Zito's

RC said...

Kali and Levi, Bonnie and I just heard about this last night (Candice told us). We of course offer our prayers for your son and both of you. Please don't think this is your fault as a mother. Unfortunately you cannot put that protective bubble around your children and have to let them find their way. We are all praying for a fast recovery for him and you. If there is ANYTHING we can do we would be glad to help. Not even sure where you guys are living but if Idaho Falls is closer to the hospital than you are then our doors are open and we have rooms for you to stay. Please send me your mailing address as soon as you can get around to it. Ours is 3837 Colts Glen Lane, IF, Idaho 83404. I know I'm just your old bishop but I loved you guys like my own children and this just broke my heart.

Jessica Ellis said...

Kali, my prayers are with you during this very hard time for your family. As I mentioned on the fundraiser, I am here to talk as my husband was horribly burned in a gas fire in Willard in July. Our road has been difficult to say the least, but the burn unit is amazing. Keep your head high and your hearts filled with love for your child and the other boys, they will all make it through.