Sunday, December 16, 2012

I am so amazed

Wow is pretty much all I can say right now. My little guy is so amazing. I stayed at the hospital last night and basically all I could do was watch his little lungs move up and down all night long. I was hoping I could just stay awake until 8:30 a.m. then he would be 24 hrs off the ventilator and then I could sleep. He had a wiggly night but his breathing got better and better every hour. Around 10:00 a.m. they took his oxygen mask off and just put in the oxygen that goes in your nose. Then he kept talking and talking and I was crying and crying. No way could I sleep after that. The first thing he said was he wanted his fingernails cut. The hospital doesn't have any for liabilty issues and I was trying to find some. He was so insistent that I cut his fingernails. I remembered I had some in my purse and he was so excited. Out of all the things I thought he was going to say, cutting his fingernails was not what I thought he would say to me. During wound care he was clapping his hands and it made noise. You would have thought that kid won a million dollars. The look on his face was priceless. He was smiling and laughing. Then of course mom was crying. He saw all the notes and cards on the wall and said I have a lot of friends. I told him he was right.----------------He is still on some sedation medication that makes you a little loopy. The wing you off of it before you get off the ventilator but since it wasn't plan they have been slowly winging him off of it. Sometimes it is really funny. He really at one point in the day thought he was the red ninja from Ninjago. Then he cried when I hit the nurse button because it was an accident. But for the most part he is himslef but animated.------------He did physical therapy today and he got to sit in a chair and play legos. They tried to stand him up but he is pretty weak still. I know it will come with time. He is getting very excited to eat and drink. He is a little nauseated so he can't have anything right away. Hopefully tomorrow we can take him on a little wheelchair ride around the burn unit. In one month he has only been to the surgery room for a couple of hours and the rest of the time he has been in this room.------------- We had such an amazing day. I can't believe he made it off the ventilator. He knew he was ready. It is such a miracle just to see him smile. Then to hear him speak is just amazing. I am so proud of the strength he has. I don't think I will physically be able to stay here again tonight. I have only had 4 hours of sleep in the past 48hrs. If I don't get some sleep I might go super super crazy. I just don't know how I am every going to leave this boy. He is such a delight and all the doctors and nurses just amazed with how much he has progressed. I don't know who isn't impressed. Most of us are all still in shock. I am so proud of you and can't wait to play tomorrow. Mom needs to get some sleep and so do you little buddy. Sleep great and have sweet dreams, you are so amazing! I love you most. Mom

3 comments:

Marilyn and Mike said...

Kali - you said it best - this is amazing news! What an amazing day full of miracles. Tayton, you are such an amazing little boy, so strong and so sweet. Congratulations on getting off the ventilator and speaking, and getting your fingernails cut. Pretty cute! Continue to heal, we keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. You are going to be our Christmas miracle. Sleep tight

Nicole said...

I keep up on your blog for Easton--when I told him that Tayton was watching Ninjago he was so excited. What an amazing little fighter you have! We are all hoping for the very best for you all. Tell Tayton that Easton says "hello" and to keep fighting! He can't wait to see him back at school one day!--Nicole White

Tori said...

I'm so excited for you and your little guy! He is truly amazing :) We think of you and pray for Tayton often. Here's to hoping you can all get some good rest!